One of the techniques my CBT helped me with, was understanding the importance of acknowledging the things I’m grateful for every day.
Some days for most of us we can have bad days or even gloomy days. With managing anxiety/ depression I find it difficult in remembering to do so. So I found a gratitude journal app on my phone. At the end of the day I get a reminder, this way I get time to reflect on the good things that came from my day.
For me I wrote about five good things everyday, mostly about my fiancé.
Here are just a few that sprung to mind, that were the highlights.
- Enjoying the view from my living room window:- looking out at the birds on the bare trees with a cup of hot chocolate.
- Duvet day with episodes of ‘The Office’.
- Listening to the ‘Frozen 2’ soundtrack.
- Having a good week at placement (in the hospital), feeling like I was making a difference in people’s lives.
- Finding out that I passed my Safe Medicate exam with a 100%.
- For having a goodnight’s sleep (very difficult these days because of my medications side effects).
- Lavender baths.
- Wrapping Christmas gifts with ‘She & Him’ playing aloud.
- Enjoying a bowl of Guinness beef stew, cosied up in a blanket, talking and laughing with my fiancé.