Salmon risotto is perhaps one of my favourite meals. The first time I tried this dish was when I first went over to my (now) fiancés’ place. He was super romantic with wanting to make a meal that was new to both of us. To this day, it’s a dish that we have on special occasions.
1 cup of risotto rice (Arborio),
2 tbsp of olive oil,
Salt and ground pepper,
700-1000 mls of vegetable stock,
1 onion (finely chopped),
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped),
zest & juice from 1 lemon,
2 fillets of salmon,
Vegetables: Broccoli, garden peas, asparagus, spinach,
Chopped flat-leaf parsley,
This dish serves 2 people.
- Add the olive oil to the pan along with the onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rice, cook for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add a third of the vegetable stock, stir and allow for it to simmer.
- During this time, the salmon can be cooked either by been wrapped in foil in the oven or fried in a separate pan.
- When the stock has been absorbed, add the vegetables (broccoli, garden peas, asparagus). Followed by adding the rest of the stock gradually, as well as the juice and zest of the lemon. It is important to remember to stir it more frequently, as it can easily stick to the bottom of the pan. Wait for the rice and vegetables to be cooked.
- Towards the end, add the salt, pepper and spinach (My fiancé likes to sometimes add roasted pine nuts to his plate, where as I prefer to add herbs like dried parsley or rosemary).
- Lastly, serve on a plate and garnish with whatever amount of Parmigiano-Reggiano you like.